It is now our responsibility, and that of the generations to come, to keep the stories, and there are many, alive.
Over the latter parts of the 19th century and early into the 20th century many references to Henry, Susannah and their family members were made regarding his prominence in the Hawkesbury region.
Revival of this interest has occurred during the past fifty years. Commitment from various Kable family members, has been strong in its action and activity to preserve the story of Henry and Susannah.
Reunion and gatherings
- 27 JANUARY 1968 NORTH SYDNEY ‘GEORGIAN HOUSE’ – KABLE FAMILY FUNCTION FOR 120 GUESTS- the first gathering to acknowledge Convict ancestry -organised by Della Scott and her daughter June Whittaker.
- 28 JANUARY 1968 – HAWKESBURY RIVERBANK – Windsor- Picnic gathering for 200 Kable-Holmes descendants.
- JULY 1969 – Sydney Grace Brothers Dining Room- Dinner for Kable-Holmes Descendants- Zillah Kable-Thomas and Bryan Thomas organisers.
- 13 FEBRUARY 1988 Sydney CBD – Regent Hotel George Street The Rocks- Bi-Centennial approved Dinner for 500 guests- Zillah Kable-Thomas-Campbell and friends organisers.
- 29 MAY 2016 – Tour Sydney and Windsor.
- 10 and 11 FEBRUARY 2018 Windsor – Hawkesbury Race Club Clarendon- 2 day Family reunion with five sessions, 450 family members and friends attended and 1,600 entrances, of gatherings including a commemorative Church Service and a formal dinner – organisers Jane & Johan van Woerkom and a committee of 30 family members- see the Souvenier booklet.
Books and articles
- Kable : the story of Henry Kable, First Fleet convict extraordinaire / June Whittaker
- Damned Rascals? / Paul Kable and June Whittaker
- An Aussie Family Yarn / Jane van Woerkom
- Eliza Dyel and the Dyel Family : a chapter in the Kable saga / Julia R Kable
- Slush Lamps and Flannel Flowers / Keith Brazier Parsons
- The Balad of Henry Kable and other bush verse / Hector Maclean
- They came by a road / Vivian Kable – illustration William Warren
- Vincent Guy Kable – a Biography / R W Greer 2015
- Kables Right Hand / Kathleen Marshall (work/editting in progress)
- A Norfolk couple who made it Down-Under / Norfolk Tales, Mythes and more
- The Transports / Peter Bellamy’s Classic Ballad Opera (see The Tale of The Transports) which drew its inspiration and story lines from the earlier published novels by June Whittaker (see above). The ballad can be watched on Youtube.
Stories of descendants
- Kathleen Mary Bleechmore – “Treasures from the Suitcase“
- Mary Therese Edgerle – reunited after 50 years
- Jim Kable (Caves Beach) – Backup speech Kable story
- James and Judy Payne – MARJORIE HELEN PAYNE STORY
- Caroline Ruppe – Bicentenary of the Wild Family in Australia
Maps and locations
- Norwich – overseas correspondent Joc Mack – Beneath Norwich
- Bryan Thomas/Zillah Kable – Maps and trees
- Kable-Holmes DNA match example through Ancestry.com DNA testing (see below).