Louisa was born in Gulgong on 13/03/1851.
She married to Henry Alfred Bayliss in Bathurst on 05/02/1870. Henry was born in Kelso on 18/10/1844.
They had the following children:
Henry Sidney Spencer Bayliss (1871 – 1948)
John Sidney Spencer Bayliss (1873 – 1968)
Frank Alfred Granville Bayliss (1877 – 1969)
Faith Lurline Bayliss (1879 – 1960)
Victor Horace Bayliss (1882 – 1914)
Kathleen Louise Bayliss (1889 – 1981)
Louisa died in Bathurst on 30/07/1932.
Henry died on 07/10/1934 in Bathurst.
An interesting article in one of the Bathurst newspapers (1934) interviewing a veteran.
Bathurst Veteran at Ninety Still Runs 112- Year Old Farm –
Tales of the days when Bathurst, Queen City of the Western Plains, was very young are recalled by Henry Bayliss, 90-years-old native of the district, who still supervises the farm selected by his father two miles from Bathurst in 1822.
Grand old pioneering families, for which the historic Bathurst district is famed, are fast disappearing. However, a few still remain, and ranking foremost among them is Henry Bayliss, who recently celebrated his 90th birthday.!
Hale and hearty, he supervises the farming of a 110-acre holding of rich river flat soil some two miles from the city of Bathurst.
The present farm is the original one occupied by his father in 1822 as a Government grant to early settlers. ( One of a family of 10, Mr. Bayliss is survived by only one other brother, who is 77 years of age.
Mr. Bayliss claims with pride that his wife’s grandfather, John Kable, (who came out from England with Governor Phillip, carried the Governor on his shoulder from where the ship was anchored to the shore, when the first landing was made.
Caroline Kable, a daughter of this gallant soldier, was one of the first White children born in this country.
Pioneer Wheatgrower –
Mr. Bayliss’s father, who was born in Windsor in 1804, and who later, in 1822, took over the present farm property in conjunction with a hotel named “The Barley Mow,” was among the first farmers to grow wheat on the Western Plains. In addition, he practised mixed farming, and many years later he was credited with having the best lucernestand in the district.
There were no fertilizers or fallow ing systems in operation then. Never the less, he secured 40-bushel-to-the acre crops. The crop was cut with hand reapers. The grain, when threshed out, was taken to a flour mill at Goman’s Hill (now the site of a residece of Mr. McPhillamy) which was worked by wind power.
First Western Hotel –
There was a hotel, owned by George Kable, opposite this mill which was the first public house built west of the Blue Mountains. Mr. Bayliss recalls as a youth calling in at this hostelry on his way to Bathurst and enjoying a tankard of ale.
About 1864 there were several breweries and 100 hotels in the town, While at Kelso the original site of Bathurst—there were many tanneries. At this time the old town was very busy and thriving with industry.
Mr. Bayliss can remember the famous Lees of “Claremont,” Kelso, and their beautiful Shorthorn and Durham beef cattle stud, the first to be introduced to the West.
John Lee, who came over the mountains in 1815, was also the first man to bring sheep to the Plains.
Slow Travelling –
In the early fifties the trip from Bathurst to Sydney over the moun tains was a perilous and slow one.
One journey, in which Mr. Bayliss as a lad accompanied his father in a bullock dray, took nine weeks. At times progress was so slow that at night the smouldering fire of the previous night’s camp could be seen.
In 1860, at Diamond Swamp, bare knuckle fights were held. They were gory battles to a finish, sometimes lasting 30 rounds.
In 1863 Cobb and Co. came to Bathurst to inaugurate the stage coach business.
Johnny Vane, the bushranger, was a friend of Mr. Bayliss in his boyhood days. Vane was a splendid cricketer.
He was started on his career of law lessness by being with a number of youths who played a prank on a neighboring farmer. The police caught the others, but young Vane made off to the bush with a foolish boast that they could not catch him. He went from bad to worse, till a £500 reward was offered for his capture.
After the famous Keightley affair at Dunn’s Plains, Rockley, in which Mrs. Keightley figured in a sensational ride to Bathurst to secure the ransom money necessary to free her husband from the hands of the bandits, Vane left the gang. Shortly afterwards he surrendered himself to Father McCarthy at Carcoar, whence he was taken into custody at Bathurst.
Gilbert, O’Meally and Burke, were very friendly with Mr. Bayliss’s family, and on occasions would send in word to the “Barley Mow” that they would be coming in for a sing song and dance, The present Mr. Bayliss used to play, the concertina at these gatherings.
The raid on Bathurst in 1863 was the outcome of a stick-up, on the road to Dunn’s Plains, of Randolph Machattie—son of the renowned Dr. Machattie—and of Albert Battye (father of Mrs. Edols, who figured in the bankruptcy courts recently).
These two gentlemen challenged the bushrangers to visit Bathurst. As a matter of fact Battye went so far as to offer to fight Burke with his bare fists.
Raid on Bathurst –
Not long after this incident the five rangers visited Bathurst, and rode down William Street to Pedrotta’s gun store (now the Commercial Bank of Australia), stole a supply of ammunition, and then rode up to McMinns jeweller’s shop (now the Red Rose Cafe), whence the youngest daughter of the house frightened them away with her screams.
After firing a few shots into the air they rode to the “Sportsmans Arms” in Piper Street, owned by John De Cluett, a well-known racehorse owner.
“Hogsblood and hounds!” ejaculated De Clouett on catching sight of Johnny Gilbert, who at one time had worked for him. De Clouett begged the intruders not to interfere with his famous horses—Pasha, Gift and The Moor.
Ben Hall was so attracted to a baby Mrs. De Clouett was holding in her arms that he wanted to take it with him. However, they eventually left without harming the occupants or interfering with the horses.
When Hangings Were Public –
Mr. Bayliss can remember seeing public hangings carried out on the Isite of the present Machattie Park— this was in the early seventies: Another event which caused great excitement was the washing away in 1867 of the Denison bridge over the Macquarie River, following a great flood.
Mr. Bayliss lays claim to being one of the first to start horse races in the West. As a youngster of 18 he ran what he called “Bye races” of two days’ duration. Paying £10 prizes he attracted good entries and crowds of 3,000 at times. The course was situated on the flats close to his home .. and was an unregistered one.
This grand old man of Bathurst district says that the recent earth tremors felt in Bathurst remind him of a real quake in 1870, when crockery from the shelves and window were smashed. He affirmed that floods followed in its wake.